ScoobySnax

Thursday, September 18, 2003

My First Post!

Ok, so everybody knows about Hurricane Isabel, right?
I do, even though I live in Minnesota, which you may know is nowhere near the coast (any coast), and therefore nowhere near the hurricane. Now, I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to the east coast, I'm a bit, how shall we say, geographically challenged, but I DO have a clue what's over there. Apparently, there are some people even more challenged than me, as evidenced by the following phone call that took place yesterday.
A lady at work had her car break down on her way out of the parking lot. She called AAA and as the operator was attempting to help her, she decided to engage in a little friendly chit-chat, which went as follows:
(Keep in mind, the operator knows this lady is in Minnesota)

Operator: So, are you feeling the effects of the hurricane yet?
Lady: (pause) Um, no, I'm pretty far away from it.
Operator: Oh really?
Lady: Well yea, I mean, Minnesota is pretty far from the coast.
Operator: Oh I thought you'd be right down in it!
Lady: (pauses again) Hmm. Well where are you located?
Operator: I'm in Michigan.
Lady: Well are you feeling the effects of the hurricane?
Operator: Oh heavens no, we're hundreds of miles away!
Lady: Riiiight, well Minnesota is even further away than you are.

WOW. I guess I always imagined that AAA (no matter where the call center was located) would have some sort of MAP around, being that one of their main purposes for existing is to help stranded motorists get from one place to another. Call me crazy.

That operator reminded me of all those kids (ahem, teenagers) that you see working as cashiers that can't make change unless it tells them the exact amount of your change on their little computer screen. It scares the bejeezus out of me to think that ANYONE that has at least attended grade school in this country can't make change from a dollar. What on earth is becoming of us? Are we so reliant on technology (i.e. computers and calculators) that we can't even make change? Gawd I hope not. I've been in their shoes - I cashiered for many years and I NEVER had a problem making change. (Not even when I was stoned at work, which was a large portion of the time.)
Good grief.

Anyway - YAY me on this being my first post ever! I promised myself I'd find a place to write to my little heart's content and now I have. This blog isn't for you, dear reader (though I do appreciate the attention) but for me. A place to say what I think, no matter what. I'm thrilled.

|