ScoobySnax

Thursday, February 12, 2004

Marriage

What is marriage, really? What is it all about, why do people do it, and what is the point?

All my life I have always wanted to be married. Maybe it's a girl thing, I don't know. And it wasn't about the wedding itself, either. It was about being married. Hell, my ideal wedding has been to get married in Vegas ever since I was about 18 or 19. A simple, tiny ceremony...intimate. Cheesy? Perhaps, but I love that kind of cheesy because to me, it's romantic.

Anyway, back to what I was saying. I've always wanted to be married. Until I read something today that made me think differently. Now I'm starting to realize that all my lofty ideas of marriage and what it means are all basically just crap. I was naive to think of marriage the way I did - as some beautiful expression of how much love two people can share, and wanting to announce it to the world with a ring around their finger. I'm finally realizing it's a pipe dream. No more attainable than me being a brain surgeon or a queen.

So I pose it to all of you - what the hell is marriage for? Is anyone ever fucking HAPPILY married? Is there a point to all of it? Do couples really stay together anymore, or is all of it just time wasted between the wedding and the divorce?

I'm completely serious. I really want more opinions on this - I need feedback.

|