ScoobySnax

Friday, April 02, 2004

Friday's Quote

"Beware the man who tells you he is not good enough for you; he's right." ~ ? I have no idea who said this, but I refuse to believe I'm clever enough to have made it up.

Who knows where all thoughts in our head come from? I'm too big of a pothead to remember all that shit. I just know that this "quote" or whatever it is, struck me as I was driving home last night.

I heard "Take It Easy" by the Eagles on the radio, and it reminded me of an old friend from highschool. Every time we heard this on the radio, he used to belt it out at the top of his lungs...and he had a fairly sexy singing voice. He was extremely good looking, in a Sebastian Bach kind of way, was really sweet and had a marvelous sense of humor...but he had issues; the intensity and variety of which I was never privy to. He used to constantly tell his girlfriend that he wasn't good enough for her. She used to constantly reassure him that he was good enough, and she loved him as he was. But eventually, he wore her down. He'd said it one too many times over the course of one too many years, and she finally got sick of the whole bullshit routine of trying to build up his confidence and self-esteem. She got sick of repeating the same things she'd said to him dozens, maybe hundreds of times. She decided that he was right - if he wasn't going to do anything to change what he didn't like about himself (even if it was only his mindset that needed the fine-tuning) she wasn't going to do it for him. With that, she left.

I was friends with her also (not close - more of a "friend of a friend" kind of way) and I saw her not long after their break up. As all of us girls all sat around talking about boyfriends and men and all that shit, it was decided then and there that any man who ever tells us he isn't good enough for us, quite simply, isn't. And we should run without delay to the nearest exit to save ourselves from the agony of falling in love with a man who, while probably is good enough, will never have the forsight to see himself this way, and in the end will likely only drive us insane. It was at that time that the above quote was discussed/brought up. I don't know if someone was quoting or being clever, but either way, it's stuck with me.

|