ScoobySnax

Friday, May 14, 2004

Friday's Quote

"Depression is rage turned inward" ~Dr. Melfi, The Sopranos

Now there's an intersting idea that I hadn't really considered before. It would certainly explain a lot of things...at least to me, anyway.

Several people I love dearly have depression issues. From time to time, (including lately, I'm reluctant to admit) I too have had my bouts. The idea of depression (or at least some types of depression) being based on rage or anger not properly channeled makes a hell of a lot of sense to me. I can point to a lot of times in my life when I was depressed that could be attributed to my anger, and my reluctance to express it in a productive way. I hate confrontation, and often just 'eat' whatever it is I'm angry about in order to avoid a fight. (Odd behavior, considering I'm a Leo - stereotypically, we're the last to hide what we're thinking or feeling.) I'm working on it. I try to be more productive about my anger now than I did in the past, but I'm far from being an expert on the subject.

Incidentally, if anyone knows of any good books about that - expressing anger/rage in a productive way - give me a heads up.

|