ScoobySnax

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

My Mama

So I hung out w/my mom on Saturday. It was great - my dad built a fire in the backyard (he's not a pyromaniac - there's a bonfire pit) and we roasted hotdogs and had a little mini-picnic.

At some point in the afternoon, my mom and I noticed a fairly weird looking bird fly over us and land in a tree.

Me: Wonder what the hell kind of bird that was?
Mom: Maybe it's a duck.
Me: [Giving mom a skeptical look] A duck.
Mom: Well sure! Ducks fly high!
Me: Really!? Well how do you suppose he's hanging onto that tree branch?!
Mom: [Laughing at herself] Oh jeez...chalk another one up for Gracie.
(Dad likes to tease mom about being a little too much like Gracie Allen.)

Later that same day, I was showing my dad some cool stuff on the computer. (He's a newbie - just got online about 4 months ago.) I showed him City Search and how to get Directions and stuff like that, and he was so excited I thought he was going to pee his pants. We go down to the kitchen where my mom is, and he's asking me "Well what if I want to look up...like...french fries? You know, to find out where I can get good fries or something like that?" So I explain to him how to search for things and how to narrow it down, etc. and my mom chimes in with "Why would you want to look up french fries??" My dad and I both just stared at her, smirking...and it was like you could see the light come on in her head and she starts laughing at herself again...my dad goes "Good one, Gracie."

It was a much nicer Mother's Day than I thought would be possible this year, and I'm damn thankful.


|