ScoobySnax

Friday, June 11, 2004

Taking Prozac

Thank you - I got a couple of email responses to my last post, and Ordinary Joe left me a comment. It's a really good start, and I appreciate your help!

Ordinary Joe said "...with the improved meds on the market, I don't know why anyone would be on Prozac any longer."

I should probably mention how I got started on Prozac in the first place. I went to my doc (my regular doc - the one I see for everything) and said "Okay, I need some help here. I feel like I have PMS all the time, especially regarding my anger. People just can't seem to be stupid enough. They are constantly pissing me off. And worse, I feel like I don't have any control over how angry I get in relation to the problem or situation. Not to mention the overly-emotional state I seem to be in much of the time. But mostly, it's the anger thing. I want to throw things and rip people's heads off, a lot of the time." Doc said "Okay, let's try Prozac. Give it about 4 weeks. After that, if you don't feel a difference or it's not helping, come back and talk to me and we'll try something else." So I gave it a few weeks, and whaddya know - I started feeling a whole helluva lot better. I felt like I had control over my emotions and anger again. I felt like whether or not I got mad about something was a choice. I felt the most normal I had in a very, very long time. I felt like ME again.

Until it was pointed out to me (I don't mean to imply that's what Ordinary Joe meant - it was pointed out to me by someone close to me) that Prozac is very likely the wrong drug for me, it never occurred to me to question it. I got addicted to the fact that I felt balanced and normal again, and never questioned whether or not it's the best solution. That's a huge part of why I want to talk to someone about it - someone besides my regular doc.

__________

Suddenly I don't really feel like talking about this anymore.

I got interrupted and lost my train of thought, and now I don't feel like finishing what I started. (LOL...story of my life.)

I've realized some things recently. One is that all I seem to be doing with this blog lately is whining, bitching, moaning, crying, etc. I feel like I sound down or negative almost all the time lately. I don't know what my original purpose with this blog was, but this doesn't seem like what I had in mind. Suddenly it feels like it has become less of an outlet, less of a 'journal' and more of an opportunity for me to seek the opinions of others - opinions that I'd never come across in offline-life, due to my fairly small circle of friends. I crave comments. I crave support. I crave attention. I crave the feedback. It seems....I don't know...Wrong. But I can't exactly put my finger on why.

|