ScoobySnax

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Duh

Excerpts from an article in today's St. Paul Pioneer Press: (bold - emphasis, mine)

After 15 years, St. Paul resident Mary Knatterud can finally enjoy a quiet supper with her children and rest a little easier at night. All it took was soundproofing for her home.

Knatterud is one of 18 Newell Park property owners who have received forgivable loans from a community development organization to install heavy-duty doors and double-paned windows, with a goal of reducing round-the-clock noise from the nearby Burlington Northern Sante Fe railroad's transfer hub.


The narrow, half-mile-long hub, at Snelling Avenue and Pierce Butler Route, sits across the street from a stretch of residential homes. Every month, the facility handles nearly 17,000 transfers of containers and trailers onto and off trains, according to Steve Forsberg, the railroad's spokesman.


Although noise issues have been evident for decades, complaints rose dramatically in the past 10 years because the hub began operating between midnight and 3 a.m., said Seth Benziger, coordinator of the Newell Park Noise Reduction Loan Program.

The forgivable loans — ranging from about $3,600 to $8,500 — were awarded based on household income and proximity to the hub. The loans work more like grants, with residents required to repay them only if they move out within five years, Benziger said.

To me, this is just like the people that move in next door to the airport and then piss and moan about the air traffic noise.

Um....HELLO?!?!

I have some advice for those people - DON'T MOVE INTO A DWELLING NEXT TO SOMETHING NOISY UNLESS YOU'RE DEAF OR DON'T CARE ABOUT NOISE.

I moved into an apartment bldg less than a block away from a railroad crossing that has trains coming and going at all hours of the day and night - and because of the route it travels, it has to cross three-four streets within a 2 mile radius of my apartment. Which means blaring train horns at every crossing, no matter the time of day/night. Did I take this into account when I decided to live there? You bet. Do I now bitch about the noise at 2am on a weeknight - fuck no! I knew what I was getting into when I moved in - and so did these people.

Am I the only one who thinks these people are pissy little whiners?

Oh wait - do I care if I'm the only one? Not so much.

|